The Great Blizzard of 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryj

Conductor
So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?

Well, yesterday, 1/31, the eastbound Empire Builder was almost five hours late into Columbus, WI. Today, it is estimated to be 4 1/2 hours late into Columbus. No word yet on # 27 's performance today.

Based on Amtrak info, the Heartland Flyer for 1 FEB was canceled, and considering this is one of the worst storms in Oklahoma and north Texas history, I can see why. I haven't even heard any BNSF freight traffic passing through Norman today.

What grand blizzard of 2011? This is a nothing, at least here in the Garden State. I have had sun showers that do more damage than this has done.

It was so bad here today

I had to bust out My heat suit the ACES

DATA ON ACES

5086625603_1d1a2b9d4e.jpg
5087221808_e2518216a2.jpg

the windchill is badddd at times so the ACES keeps me warm ..

OTM is gonna freeze .!!!!!

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?
Thanx for posting this question! I'm scheduled to fly to DEN for a DEN-EMY-Portland-Chicago-DC-St. Pete trip next week :eek:hboy: !!!

Well, I labeled this my "Snow Trip :cool: :lol: " !!! Think I might see a little???

RF

We're sittin' in Club Acela in WAS waiting for 97 to WPB....so far it's reported on time......
If this is correct you posted that at 4:42pm... That's delayed in my book! 97 is supposed to be in between TRE and PHL at 4:42pm. If the time stamp is wrong let us know...
Status at amtrak.com says on time...we are waiting in WAS Club Acela......they are scheduled to leave here at 7:30PM...

I'm sitting on the 50 from Chicago to New York. We were supposed to leave an hour ago, but we're waiting on some switches to be fixed. This will be one VERY late ride, but I'm just happy that they're still running.

I live 10 miles south of Milwaukee and 75 miles north of Chicago... and I can tell you the train is about the only thing running out of either city. All roads are snow covered and slippery... not totally impassible yet but the snow just started 2 hours ago up here too. The Hiawathas are RIGHT ON TIME. :) #7 left Chicago 4 hours late... since I'm not at CUS I am not sure what the problem was... and #8 is down about the same time.

I have a scanner that I keep on in my bedroom that picks up Track Detector 72.7 on the CP (Amtrak) line between CHI and MKE. Doesnt sound like CP is running tons of freights... heard a few this afternoon.

I'm glad I have mid-week off days this week and can hunker down until 3PM Friday if need be!! :)

From the LA Times:

Midwest snow forecast forces more than 1,200 cancellations at Chicago airports
XC skis are about the only reasonable mode of transport around here, except maybe Amtrak. From Amtrak.com:

382 Carl Sandburg to QCY to CHI - Estimated Arrival Time: 3 minutes late.(credible since it left KEE only 7 Minutes late)

383 Illinois Zephyr to CHI to QCY - Estimated Arrival Time: 18 minutes late (departed CHI on time and PCT 28 minutes late)

We're sittin' in Club Acela in WAS waiting for 97 to WPB....so far it's reported on time......
If this is correct you posted that at 4:42pm... That's delayed in my book! 97 is supposed to be in between TRE and PHL at 4:42pm. If the time stamp is wrong let us know...
Status at amtrak.com says on time...we are waiting in WAS Club Acela......they are scheduled to leave here at 7:30PM...

OOOOOOOPSSS!!! I thought you said NYP!! My mistake!! I'm laughing at myself for being so stupid! Sorry about that! :)

I wonder about Bloomington, Illinois. Our area is having a big snowstorm right now. In fact we have even had thundersnow.

I wonder about Bloomington, Illinois. Our area is having a big snowstorm right now. In fact we have even had thundersnow.

I was talking to my uncle on instant messager earlier this afternoon (he lives between Bloomington and Champaign) and he said he could only see a couple of feet past his front porch from inside his house. Not good!

Same thing here JayPea. I live near Peoria, Il. Not seeing too far out there now. I took the dog out a bit ago to do his thing, the wind has died down a little, but still blowing pretty good though. By the way, Eddie didn't mess around much time. He got it over quick.

It seems like every snow/ice storm has been completely different around here this season.

I don't see the NEC fairing well as there is an ice storm warning. Ice and catenary don't mix.

Traveling west of the 2/3/11 train 27 departing Saturday out of SPK to PDX and connecting to 11. Today's train 7 left CHI 5 hours and 9 minutes late and this is the storm is at its early stages. http://72.148.42.113:8080/scripts/archivefinder.pl?seltrain=7&selyear=2011&selmonth=02&selday=01

I was fretting about how to spend the new luxurious 6 hour EB connection to the CS in PDX, but if Thursday's EB leaves CHI 5+ hours late and still has to traverse Minnesota, North Dakota and Eastern Montana, that does not portend well for making my PDX CS connection to LAX.

I am not enjoying my winter travel. I almost missed my 5 hour EB to LSL connection in CHI last trip.

Updates: 7 lost another hour between CHI and Milwaukee and was 6 hours and 19 minutes late out of there.

7 arrived in Minneapolis 7 hours and 40 minutes late. Even with buffers, that would make a CS connection in PDX tight or dubious (it's a 6 hour 15 minute connection)

We haven't gotten any snow here in Salt Lake City, Utah, but it has been very cold-current temp is 10 degrees. Hummingbird feeders are frozen solid again. Looks like The CZ #5 looks like it's on schedule to arrive on time (11:05pm). It usually arrives about 10:25pm. I hope everybody stays warm & dry, & gets where they are going on time and safely!

Of course, the railfan in me gets to thinking... if #7 leaves CHI and MKE on-time today (2/2/11)... and #8 keeps losing more time like it looks... I could get a rare round-trip in by taking #7 from MKE either to CBS, POG, or WDL... and catching the late #8 back home to MKE. Yes, tickets booked... but probably wont go because the roads are impassible here in SE Wisconsin. Maybe it will clear up by 3:45PM though... hahaha. Yes, I'm a dork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back