What do you do when traveling alone LD over 30 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like to do before taking a train trip is to follow along the train's route using both Google Earth's aerial imagery and the USGS Topographic maps available online. I make a list of things of interest along the route so I can look for them in advance of coming upon them and not miss them. Even though Amtrak seems pretty good at announcing things of interest, there may be some things of particular interest to you that are not announced. As an example, the topo maps showing your route probably have a common name (Crale, for instance) for various sorts of things trackside that don't look like anything at all. But upon a closer look you may see that name is by a railroad siding out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around. I jot those down on my list and when I feel the train rumble over the switch (aka, turnout) by Crale I'll wonder who Crale was. Maybe a member of the track crew who broke his foot there back in the early 20th Century? Sometimes it's fun to just sit and wonder about nit-noy stuff like that - for me, at least.

VIA Rail in Canada has a program for musicians that allows them to ride the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver and perform on the Park Car twice daily ( pm and night) in exchange for a section bed and meals. Tips are up to the passengers.

I've heard some excellent singer/ songwriters on this Route including one folk singer that had a # 1 Hit in Canada last year!

Since Amtrak has a similar program for writers, they should consider a similar one for musicians for the LD Trains that have Sightseer Lounges!

Here's a better example of one such named place I previously mentioned. Better because it's along the route of the Crescent that you plan on taking. It lies about 30 miles past the Amtrak station in Picayune, MS, in between the little towns of Poplarville and Lumberton (about 7 miles past Poplarville). It's named Hillsdale. But all that's there is a railroad spur (switch and a short length of dead-end track) and a grade crossing (road across track). The length of that spur track is about ¼ mile to give you some idea of the scale of this map showing Hillsdale (it may take about 30 seconds to load): https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?lat=30.92470&lon=-89.48957&datum=nad27&zoom=4&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomin&size=m Why is it called Hillsdale? Who named it that?

Maybe a better question is "Who cares?" [don't answer that :) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a better example of one such named place I previously mentioned. Better because it's along the route of the Crescent that you plan on taking. It lies about 30 miles past the Amtrak station in Picayune, MS, in between the little towns of Poplarville and Lumberton (about 7 miles past Poplarville). It's named Hillsdale. But all that's there is a railroad spur (switch and a short length of dead-end track) and a grade crossing (road across track). The length of that spur track is about ¼ mile to give you some idea of the scale of this map showing Hillsdale (it may take about 30 seconds to load): https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?lat=30.92470&lon=-89.48957&datum=nad27&zoom=4&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomin&size=m Why is it called Hillsdale? Who named it that?

That would be interesting. So i do Google Earth and what else to get this type of info?

Most people (including me) do not even go to the lounge car on eastern LD trains.
Thank goodness! Ya know how tight it'd be in there with 300 people?

It lies about 30 miles past the Amtrak station in Picayune, MS, in between the little towns of Poplarville and Lumberton (about 7 miles past Poplarville). It's named Hillsdale. But all that's there is a railroad spur (switch and a short length of dead-end track) and a grade crossing (road across track). The length of that spur track is about ¼ mile... Why is it called Hillsdale? Who named it that?

That would be interesting. So i do Google Earth and what else to get this type of info?
And why is it there??? My guess is Private Varnish parking. :D

These are the two main sources I use:

• Google Earth... http://www.google.com/earth/ ...when downloaded will give you access to their aerial photographic imagery and also Google Maps - much like a road map from the gas station. It also has overlays or layers of different kinds of information you can choose to put on your view from above: roads; borders & labels; places; photos, and several more. In addition to all that stuff it has a "Street View" feature which allows you to (in effect) get out of your airplane and hop in a car and look around 360° at images from ground level taken from most highways, roads and seven country lanes. This is even available for the road crossing the tracks at Hillsdale.

Following the scheduled route of an Amtrak train is usually pretty straightforward using Google earth. Just type in , say, "Amtrak New Orleans LA" and hit the search button and it'll fly you right there above the station and hover at an altitude of about 3,000 feet. The mouse wheel lets you change altitude for a close view or broader view and then you follow the tracks out of town. I should have said "try to follow the tracks out of town" because doing that is complicated by the variety of different routes to follow after leaving the station. When there are too many choices I back track on Google Earth from the next station shown on the Amtrak for the route - for the Crescent it's Slidell LA. It can be a real challenge sometimes, especially in urban areas with lots of industry, but I find it sort of fun - like a puzzle. Then there's the occasional difficulty using Google Earth following along in sparsely populated areas where the quality of the aerial imagery or terrain make seeing the tracks and following the route difficult. Here's where I switch over to using the topo maps. The best ones are published by the United States Geological Survey and are available online through them, but they are available elsewhere. The ones I use the most are from...

• MyTopo... http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm ...although there are several others. This is where all the "interesting" named places along the tracks can be found. The track symbols on the map make it easy to follow along the route in places where Google Earth causes too much eye strain. And this is where I found Hillsdale MS because it doesn't appear on Google Earth unless you enter it in its search box - and if you don't know it exists, you can't enter it.

Be advised that doing these kinds of searches may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you're not familiar with using Google Earth it can take some time to get familiar with it and learn how to use all its available feature. Using MyTopo is a little easier: like Google Earth, just enter a start point and it'll take you there. After doing a fair number of these route surveys, I open up both so I can switch back & forth - and fritter away the hours taking a virtual train ride. But I have lots of time to fritter away.

These are the two main sources I use:

• Google Earth... http://www.google.com/earth/ ...when downloaded will give you access to their aerial photographic imagery and also Google Maps - much like a road map from the gas station. It also has overlays or layers of different kinds of information you can choose to put on your view from above: roads; borders & labels; places; photos, and several more. In addition to all that stuff it has a "Street View" feature which allows you to (in effect) get out of your airplane and hop in a car and look around 360° at images from ground level taken from most highways, roads and seven country lanes. This is even available for the road crossing the tracks at Hillsdale.

Following the scheduled route of an Amtrak train is usually pretty straightforward using Google earth. Just type in , say, "Amtrak New Orleans LA" and hit the search button and it'll fly you right there above the station and hover at an altitude of about 3,000 feet. The mouse wheel lets you change altitude for a close view or broader view and then you follow the tracks out of town. I should have said "try to follow the tracks out of town" because doing that is complicated by the variety of different routes to follow after leaving the station. When there are too many choices I back track on Google Earth from the next station shown on the Amtrak for the route - for the Crescent it's Slidell LA. It can be a real challenge sometimes, especially in urban areas with lots of industry, but I find it sort of fun - like a puzzle. Then there's the occasional difficulty using Google Earth following along in sparsely populated areas where the quality of the aerial imagery or terrain make seeing the tracks and following the route difficult. Here's where I switch over to using the topo maps. The best ones are published by the United States Geological Survey and are available online through them, but they are available elsewhere. The ones I use the most are from...

• MyTopo... http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm ...although there are several others. This is where all the "interesting" named places along the tracks can be found. The track symbols on the map make it easy to follow along the route in places where Google Earth causes too much eye strain. And this is where I found Hillsdale MS because it doesn't appear on Google Earth unless you enter it in its search box - and if you don't know it exists, you can't enter it.

Be advised that doing these kinds of searches may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you're not familiar with using Google Earth it can take some time to get familiar with it and learn how to use all its available feature. Using MyTopo is a little easier: like Google Earth, just enter a start point and it'll take you there. After doing a fair number of these route surveys, I open up both so I can switch back & forth - and fritter away the hours taking a virtual train ride. But I have lots of time to fritter away.
I am going to try both of these because it sounds interesting

Tip: Use the little yellow push-pins to mark the route once you've found it. No fun spending an hour ferreting your way from point A to point B, go do something else and forget where you were!

Your first challenge is a good one - the route between the stations in New Orleans and Slidell. Not too many side tracks for industry, but lots of curves and highway overpasses in NOL. Have fun.

In addition to the yellow push pins, Google Earth has a large selection of symbols for use.

To the right of the box where you type the Placemark title in the New Placemark pop-up window, click on the yellow push pin to see all the other symbols we can use.

Tip: Use the little yellow push-pins to mark the route once you've found it. No fun spending an hour ferreting your way from point A to point B, go do something else and forget where you were!

Your first challenge is a good one - the route between the stations in New Orleans and Slidell. Not too many side tracks for industry, but lots of curves and highway overpasses in NOL. Have fun.
I thought you meant actual push pins. Silly me lol

I'm an introvert. I sleep a lot. I read. And the rocking motion of the train puts me to sleep for some reason.

I'd suggest that you visit the lounge car.

Very well said SarahZ. I travel alone about 50/50 of my long distance train trips. I LOVE it. Time just for me. When I'm feeling like I want to socialize I make my way down to the observation car and strike up a conversation. Always love retreating to my roomette when I want quiet time. I'll relax with a good book at night. I have also been known to spend hours at the "rail fan" window too. Last trip on the California Zephyr I neglected to tell my friend where I would be (at the "rail fan" window) and she didn't know where I'd been off to. LOL

What I get super nervous about is detraining in a city I've never been to! I'm taking the Cardinal from CHI-WAS over Memorial Day weekend and I've never been to D.C. Yikes! Going to be super vigilant about getting around there. I hope to find a safe hotel and navigate the city a little. And, then next day get on the Capitol Limited back to Chicago.

Very well said SarahZ. I travel alone about 50/50 of my long distance train trips. I LOVE it. Time just for me. When I'm feeling like I want to socialize I make my way down to the observation car and strike up a conversation. Always love retreating to my roomette when I want quiet time. I'll relax with a good book at night. I have also been known to spend hours at the "rail fan" window too. Last trip on the California Zephyr I neglected to tell my friend where I would be (at the "rail fan" window) and she didn't know where I'd been off to. LOL

What I get super nervous about is detraining in a city I've never been to! I'm taking the Cardinal from CHI-WAS over Memorial Day weekend and I've never been to D.C. Yikes! Going to be super vigilant about getting around there. I hope to find a safe hotel and navigate the city a little. And, then next day get on the Capitol Limited back to Chicago.
I had a layover in WAS last summer. The Metro system is really easy to use, and the maps are plentiful and clear. I had absolutely zero issues navigating the city, and I never once felt unsafe.

I like to settle in my roomette,make sure cell phone is off,check in morning and evening.Look out the window from somewhere on the train.I will read the menu in the diner and talk to a few people.Listen to scanner.Always take a shower just because.

I never thought about just looking at the sights at night.
I concur with others here - this is really a unique thing about the train. The closest you can get elsewhere is driving late at night on a deserted road, but even as a passenger I've found it's really hard to just sit back and relax in a car, and at least where I am, it's hard to find roads without traffic even late at night. In a train, watching the world go by at night is almost a zen-like experience.
I can't emphasize enough how much I agree with this statement! Traveling by train at night is like no other travel.....it's simply amazing.

You are in for a treat! Our kids joined us for a vacation train trip (Cardinal) to DC from Chicago in '02, and we had a ball. Stayed in roommettes across from each other (boys in one, girls in the other). Once in DC at Union Station, we caught a cab to a reasonably priced hotel near the National Mall. Echoing SaraZ's comments, we used DC's subway system (Metro) and traveled all over the city and surrounding area without need of a rental car or any other public transportation. All Federal museums are free admission, and there's LOTS to see and do. We spent a week and barely scratched the surface. Message me if you want more info....

That is awesome. Would love to view that from a train window. When traveling on the Crescent before all I saw was darkness,what was great was seeing the sun come up as night became day. I always have heard about people being on trains were someone with instrument plays music. Never had that happen to me. Now that would be awesome.
cassie u ask i deliver this is from my roomette the girl across from me was playing and a guy started playing his flute

Ugh. If you want to put on a concert, go to the lounge. That's like playing music or movies without headphones.

Thanks OBS Chief- that was awesome. I love train people. Bet you couldn't do that on the plane.
Ugh. If you want to put on a concert, go to the lounge. That's like playing music or movies without headphones.
sarah it was spontanius she started playing her fiddle and the guy walked over from his roomette and started playing his flute

Don't care. Go to the lounge. That's what it's for. The sleepers are supposed to be quiet (hence the headphone rule).

wow i forgot about the headphone rule

i did open mikes in ann arbor, austin, and eugene

i never thought of playing live on a amtrak train

next trip i will bring my conga drum, for a concert lol

One time we had a performer headed to the K-Falls County Fair on the PPC (Coast Starlight) and when we found that out, he decided to give us an AMAZING improv show. The Car Attendant had Kittens about this from the get-go but the Conductor quickly arrived and told him to keep playing; she even sat down and enjoyed the performance for a few minutes. By now the Attendnat was hiding out behind the bar having been put in his place :)

One time we had a performer headed to the K-Falls County Fair on the PPC (Coast Starlight) and when we found that out, he decided to give us an AMAZING improv show. The Car Attendant had Kittens about this from the get-go but the Conductor quickly arrived and told him to keep playing; she even sat down and enjoyed the performance for a few minutes. By now the Attendnat was hiding out behind the bar having been put in his place :)
As long as you enjoy the entertainment, I guess it's fine. I'm siding with the attendant. Keep the PPC for those who want to sit and enjoy the scenery without the intrusive sideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back