What do you do when traveling alone LD over 30 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One time we had a performer headed to the K-Falls County Fair on the PPC (Coast Starlight) and when we found that out, he decided to give us an AMAZING improv show. The Car Attendant had Kittens about this from the get-go but the Conductor quickly arrived and told him to keep playing; she even sat down and enjoyed the performance for a few minutes. By now the Attendnat was hiding out behind the bar having been put in his place :)
As long as you enjoy the entertainment, I guess it's fine. I'm siding with the attendant. Keep the PPC for those who want to sit and enjoy the scenery without the intrusive sideshow.
Everyone in the PPC agreed before he started and even a few folks passing through from the Diner sat in. It was a full house.

I suppose it depends on what kind of music one likes. There have been occasions when I have left the lounge since the sort of noises emanating therein were not pleasant. But yeah, if someone strikes up a band in a Sleeping Car I would lodge a written complaint with Amtrak if that was not shut down forthwith by the SCA - spontaneous or not. I am actually very glad that such nonsense cannot be started up in a plane. ;) Aftreall I do spend way more time on planes than on Amtrak :p even though I do love to travel by train when I can pull it off.

I suppose it depends on what kind of music one likes. There have been occasions when I have left the lounge since the sort of noises emanating therein were not pleasant. But yeah, if someone strikes up a band in a Sleeping Car I would lodge a written complaint with Amtrak if that was not shut down forthwith by the SCA - spontaneous or not. I am actually very glad that such nonsense cannot be started up in a plane. ;) Aftreall I do spend way more time on planes than on Amtrak :p even though I do love to travel by train when I can pull it off.
jis she was across from me in her roomette jamming on her fiddle, i was cought off guard i had to scramble to get my camera and start videoing the music

Sometimes artists think that what inspires them is to be appreciated by everyone around them. Many forget simple things like social awareness, or politeness. Tragically, many who are greatly disturbed are quite too timid - or polite - to challenge such behavior.

I love good music. Perhaps my definition of "good music" isn't the same as yours.

White Rabbit - I think that was an awesome thing for you to witness. Depending on the time of day and receptiveness of others, I could enjoy it for a bit. But I could easily get real tired of that, real soon, and would hope that a person of authority on the train would help in preserving the several hundred dollar experience I paid for.

Sometimes artists think that what inspires them is to be appreciated by everyone around them. Many forget simple things like social awareness, or politeness. Tragically, many who are greatly disturbed are quite too timid - or polite - to challenge such behavior.

I love good music. Perhaps my definition of "good music" isn't the same as yours.

White Rabbit - I think that was an awesome thing for you to witness. Depending on the time of day and receptiveness of others, I could enjoy it for a bit. But I could easily get real tired of that, real soon, and would hope that a person of authority on the train would help in preserving the several hundred dollar experience I paid for.
venture that happened in the afternoon after we left fort worth on our way to austin

Eris, I would have loved having that on my flight.But then I don't fly.I wouldn't like it on a train if it were late at night while trying to sleep,but other than that I think I would be ok. But if others object,they have that right, and that's alright also.

Eris, I would have loved having that on my flight.But then I don't fly.I wouldn't like it on a train if it were late at night while trying to sleep,but other than that I think I would be ok. But if others object,they have that right, and that's alright also.
cassie this was afternoon after leaving fort worth texas on the way to austin tx,

as kathy hanson had just got on the train in fort worth

Count me in as one of those people who would have been too shy to speak up but secretly irritated and hating every second of it.

Just because people don't object doesn't mean they aren't upset. Sometimes, they're just trying not to rock the boat (or train, in this case). :)

Musicians should go to the lounge if they want to entertain people. If I blasted my favorite music and nobody objected, that doesn't make it okay. It just means I'm getting away with breaking the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been riding Amtrak for 25 years and have taken every cross country route multiple times. Riding Amtrak IS my vacation. Most of these trips have been solo and it never gets old, The scenery always is fascinating, whether it's the flat plains of Montana or the vast expanse of Texas or arriving and departing major cities. As others have posted, the time is yours on an LD train. You can be alone if you are in a sleeper or you can socialize in the lounge car. A balance of both makes the optimal long distance trip.

I met my significant other eight years ago and I'm glad she shares my enthusiasm for train travel. We've taken many LD trips and she loves it almost as much as I do. Only difference is that she does not consider the train the total vacation. She wants to take Amtrak to a particular destination,which I am happy to do, since the train is a part of the experience. That said, I still enjoy riding solo and have taken many LD trips on my own. I have never been bored.

I do bring along an old fashioned portable AM FM radio on every trip I take and I listen to different stations along the route. You can do the same thing with an Internet radio or on a lap top from home,but I find it fascinating going through the dial as we pass through different towns.

Riding Amtrak solo has always been one my favorite things to do. There is an old Amtrak slogan...There's something about a train that's magic. That about sums it up.

We are taking The Texas Eagle and Coast Starlight to San Luis Obispo in June and returning on the Starlight and The Empire Builder. Can't wait!

Benale, you summed it up PERFECTLY! If I can spend 4 days on the train getting somewhere, spend a few days at the somehwere and then 4 more good train days getting home from the somehwere, then it is for me! And if I just had 8 days, I would cut out the middle part :)

Of course most my friends think I'm nuts and won't even consider taking a train somewhere, maybe other then down to Ft. Worth on the Heartland Flyer but while they get strip searched at the airport and enjoy 30 inches of pitch crammed in with 200 other galley slaves who all have empty billfolds once the airlines pilfered them dry, I'll be sitting back and relaxing in comfort.

I like your idea of bringing along a small radio, especially now that it is harder to get a local newspaper along the way.

Benale, you summed it up PERFECTLY! If I can spend 4 days on the train getting somewhere, spend a few days at the somehwere and then 4 more good train days getting home from the somehwere, then it is for me! And if I just had 8 days, I would cut out the middle part :)

Of course most my friends think I'm nuts and won't even consider taking a train somewhere, maybe other then down to Ft. Worth on the Heartland Flyer but while they get strip searched at the airport and enjoy 30 inches of pitch crammed in with 200 other galley slaves who all have empty billfolds once the airlines pilfered them dry, I'll be sitting back and relaxing in comfort.

I like your idea of bringing along a small radio, especially now that it is harder to get a local newspaper along the way.
When you do 4 days is that 4 days and 3 nights straight. What trips have you taken so far?I don't know if I'm ready for 4 days without stops between. I have only done The Crescent overnight a couple of times. You really do love trains.

I have been riding Amtrak for 25 years and have taken every cross country route multiple times. Riding Amtrak IS my vacation. Most of these trips have been solo and it never gets old, The scenery always is fascinating, whether it's the flat plains of Montana or the vast expanse of Texas or arriving and departing major cities. As others have posted, the time is yours on an LD train. You can be alone if you are in a sleeper or you can socialize in the lounge car. A balance of both makes the optimal long distance trip.

I met my significant other eight years ago and I'm glad she shares my enthusiasm for train travel. We've taken many LD trips and she loves it almost as much as I do. Only difference is that she does not consider the train the total vacation. She wants to take Amtrak to a particular destination,which I am happy to do, since the train is a part of the experience. That said, I still enjoy riding solo and have taken many LD trips on my own. I have never been bored.

I do bring along an old fashioned portable AM FM radio on every trip I take and I listen to different stations along the route. You can do the same thing with an Internet radio or on a lap top from home,but I find it fascinating going through the dial as we pass through different towns.

Riding Amtrak solo has always been one my favorite things to do. There is an old Amtrak slogan...There's something about a train that's magic. That about sums it up.

We are taking The Texas Eagle and Coast Starlight to San Luis Obispo in June and returning on the Starlight and The Empire Builder. Can't wait!
Must be nice to have your significant other with you from time to time. Most of the people I know gripe about how long it takes instead of just enjoying the journey.

Cassie, I did a 4-4-4 trip last October to the Gathering

Going out (east coast to west coast), I traveled alone from late Sunday morning to early Weds (WIL-NYP-CHI-LAX) then met up with a couple of AUers for the trip up to EMY, though I ended up getting off in SJC to spend the night with my daughter's family, which was a nighttime arrival. Spent Thurs-Sun in the bay area then left on Mon morning with AUers (EMY-CHI-WAS-WIL) and arrived home Thurs evening.

I enjoyed the trip. Don't know if/when I'll get to do something like that again due to time & $$/points.

When you do 4 days is that 4 days and 3 nights straight. What trips have you taken so far?I don't know if I'm ready for 4 days without stops between. I have only done The Crescent overnight a couple of times. You really do love trains.
From Norman I have done 4 day/3 night runs to SEA and also to WPB and I have also taken the infamous Columbus Loophole from Kansas City to Columus WI which gives you 5 outstanding train nights. When it comes to riding the train, I do not believe in the shortest distance as being a straight line :)

So, I'm getting set for my trip back home. Little nervous and excited, but probably will do more sleeping than anything as I had to wait on daughter hand and foot and her 8 month pregnant friend a day or 2(her mom in Africa and she was whiny). Enjoyed it much for both as it was a labor of love. I am so tired. Got my books,movies,gps set up, snacks,alcoholic beverages and think I'm ready. Also have butterflies in the stomach. Do any of y'all change into pajamas for overnight trips? I never have, but my cousin says she does. Is that ok? Thanks.

Train travel can have with it many activities to keep one busy. I have not traveled LD alone in quite a while but when I am traveling with my wife Paula, the activities stay the same. Just looking out the window is like watching the travel channel. Reading is always part of the trip, and if you think about it you are dining for about three hours and sleeping for 6-8. Deduct that from the trip time and that's a good portion of it. SSL time is also maybe an hour of two a day. Onboard I can go online at just about anytime. Verizon is my provider and I tether my laptop to my cell phone. With the vast nationwide coverage that Verizon has, I can watch TV programs in the evening. Bedtime is usually early like 10 or 10:30 PM and rise time is around 6 or 7 AM. The trip goes fast and when we depart the train we feel rested and refreshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back