What do you do when traveling alone LD over 30 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hello again, I guess you all say I only post when taking a trip,but I read AU almost everyday. It is listed in my favorites. I will travel to Newark this March again in H room with daughter,youngest in Jersey has to have surgery. I thought about flying but started to hyperventilate already ,so hubbie said just get on the train and be done. Will be coming back solo,as my oldest daughter will return home early and fly back to New Orleans with Dad. What do you do for 30 hours on the train, I am a talker and will be in a sleeper going back. Seems like the people in the sleepers are private and don't talk as much as the people in Coach. I must have a sleeper to stretch out overnight,arthritis. Also at night it seems as if the train is shaking so much that it is coming off the tracks. I do take books,have movies on ipad,songs on iphone and ipad. Still seems like i am going to be bored. Suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a talker. That makes sleeper a particularly nice way for me to travel. I take my laptop and have a GPS setup feeding to a detailed mapping program - TopoNA (North America). I fire that up, sit in my room, and follow along knowing the names of every little town, dirt road, creek, lake, mountain, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse. I'm entertained for hours. Throw in the meals in the dining car, and sometimes it surprising how fast the trip goes.

Those who are more social usually head for the lounge car. The lounge car on the train from New Orleans to Newark is not as nice as those used on some other trains, but it is still a place where you can get something to drink and see other passengers. The dining car visits allow that as well.

Take some personal entertainment like a tablet (or even an actual book). Relax and enjoy your trip.

And best wishes for your daughter and a successful outcome.

If I'm "stuck" on the Train for 30 hours I often start wishing I was there for 60 hours! Something tells me I may not be the only one in here with that line of thinking :)

I used to travel alone on the train a lot when I was a kid (usually transcon, so 3 full days). I loved it.

I personally can never get bored on a train, even if I have nothing with me. But these days you can always bring a laptop or tablet if you are someone who gets bored. Preload it before you leave with some music, movies, books and magazines, though, since there will be times when you have no connectivity.

As mentioned, the lounge car is there for you to socialize with other passengers if you are a talker. That said, I never did find the Amfleet lounges very inviting or "loungey".

Long train rides is an excellent opportunity for me to catch up on reading. I am perpetually months behind on stuff that I would like to read. So that works out well. The other activity is photography out the window, if the window happens to be clean enough. Like PRR, I am not a talker so I don't frequent the lounge car too much. I could spend hours standing by the railfan window in the rear of the train if I have access to it.

A very interesting topic and something I am thinking about as travelling on my own from Washington to San Francisco in 4 weeks. The reason I am doing the trip is to look out of the window but realise that I can't do that all the time especially when it is dark outside. I'm happy to go to the lounge car and will eat all my meals in the diner but I don't really want to get into late night drinking sessions as I will feel like shite the next day. So I am probably going to have to ration myself to a couple of drinks every evening and thus go to bed early with a good book. Actually thats sounds like luxury to me.

In the spring I'll be making a LD train trip by myself to visit one of my sisters.

Time on the train, and a 10 hour layover to change trains, adds up to about 65 hours - if the trains are on time.

I'll have my laptop computer with me and my camera gear.

I'm planning on spending most of the daylight hours looking out the windows, talking with other people in the Sightseer Lounge car and at meals, and making photographs and video of the scenery going by.

After sunset each day I'll be writing a travelogue on my laptop, watching a movie on DVD, and/or reading a paperback novel.

I usually travel alone, have travel across the country several times, and across Canada (4 nights) a couple of times, too. Listen to music, read books, talk with other passengers over meals, watch the world go by. It is relaxing, not boring.

I've just loaded up on audiobooks. Perfect for simultaneously sightseeing and "reading."

The last time I went from Oregon to Massachusetts to see my family, I went alone and Hubby stayed home (his logic being that if he isn't along, I will schedule a longer visit with my follks). I loved it so much that I am scheduling another trip like it this fall! Here are some of my advantages to traveling long distance alone:

• I can take a non-direct route that includes a train that has been on my wish list, but not Hubby's (the Cardinal, oh my!).
  • I have the whole roomette to myself. No jockeying for legroom (he has long legs, so I have to take a walk if I want to stretch out). If it's a Viewliner, I can sleep in the top bunk and leave the bottom set up for sitting. If it's a Superliner, I get the bunk with the windows, so I can see out at night, ha!
And some of the things I do:

• Computer projects saved up just to do on the trip (I took advantage of the block of time to view several hours of video footage, and edited it down to a script for a seven-minute video. Of course, I allowed plenty of time to be distracted by the scenery). I often took my computer to the Lounge Car, so I could get a cup of tea and spread out a little while I worked. If you are going to be listening to audio, be sure to take headphones so as not to bother others.
  • Crocheting: on my next trip, I intend to make potholders to match my niece's kitchen. That way I don't have to carry the project back home with me.
  • Reading: I take magazines I can discard after reading. I don't do e-readers, but know it's a convenient way to have a choice of several books in a small package.
  • You'll probably find other LOLs (Little Old Ladies, a group I proudly count myself among) traveling alone in your car. Last time on the EB, there were three of us in the sleeper that decided to arrange our reservations so we could eat together. On the LSL, a couple of us sat over our wine glasses after dinner, chatting up a storm, until the attendant kicked us out to clean the place up as we approached Boston.
A tip for the diner: if you find you have to go to the door of the diner alone, you can always wait just inside your sleeper door and NOT go in until you see a couple or single approaching to be seated with. I went in alone just once, and never again. By the time someone else came in, I was far enough along with my meal that they seated them separately. I ate in solitary splendor, staring out the window into the darkness. If I have to do that again, I'll make sure I have a book with me.

Even if the scenery is not spectacular, look for little details of beauty or curiosity that make up our fantastic country. ( I admit to being the type who enjoys driving across Kansas, which most people consider a colossal bore. ). Travel by train is a different perspective than travel by car.

If I book a train trip that's 30 hours alone, I think "Why did I book such a short trip? :huh: !" :giggle:

And you CAN look out the window at night. You won't see the mountains 50 miles away, but it's nice to see the houses you pass or the towns you go thru! And if you're in a sleeper, turn off the room light and pull the door curtain shut. Then looking out the window is so relaxing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you take your meals in the dining car, they will more than likely seat you with one or more fellow passengers. If you don't mind chatting, that can be interesting. For instance, if you're first seated at an empty table, if a couple or single passenger is seated, they will place those passengers at your table rather than find them an empty one. The gist is that they want diners on Amtrak to socialize with their fellow passengers.

I'll be on a 72 hour train trip this month (Alb/Chi/DC/Orlando) since that direct route is NEVER coming back! Have a loaded Kindle and Podcast on Fire and will download Dowton Abbey and binge on that. Should be fine :)

The reason I am doing the trip is to look out of the window but realise that I can't do that all the time especially when it is dark outside.
Some of the best sightseeing is at night, I like to keep the room as dark as I can and watch what's going by after sunset.
Agreed. I love passing by houses and towns at night. It's so peaceful.

I never thought about just looking at the sights at night.Also how do I know who the LOL little old ladies are. I know I'm one of them.The last time I went up with 6 year old adopted grandson and his mom-we had a blast. Just seeing him excited made for a very short trip.Enjoyed every moment. Should I get nervous when the train seems as if its coming off the tracks at night.. Seems like they go faster at night than in the daytime.Although when on the top bunk-its more of a soothing rocking than bumping from side to side.I got a lot of Alfred Hitchcock movies, EveryBody Loves Raymond and The Big Bang 7th season.Thanks y'all

Don't get nervous. A lot of those sharp, sideways bumps you feel are simply the train going over a switch. You'll get used to them in time.

It can feel like the train is going faster at night because you're laying down and your whole body is moving instead of sitting with your feet planted on the floor. Plus, when it's dark, your sense of feeling is heightened as your vision is "gone" (dark, eyes closed, etc). During the day, you have visual clues, so you're processing what you see along with what you feel. At night, you just process what you feel.

...Travel by train is a different perspective than travel by car.
THIS is what makes rail travel so glorious! My wife and I are completely different in our train activity (almost :) ) She prefers to stay in the sleeper reading and looking out the window. I prefer to spend most of the time in the SSL (also watching the countryside), but I also am an amateur photographer, so I like to shoot photos quite a bit. I also agree that "sightseeing" when the sun goes down is great, especially with the lights off in your sleeper...

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought about just looking at the sights at night.

Also how do I know who the LOL little old ladies are. I know I'm one of them.
In my roomette, I turn the lights off at night and watch the roads and towns go by. Almost feel like a voyeur sometimes, looking into uncurtained windows to see families sitting down to dinner. But I know it's the same from their side, as they watch the lighted train go by: just a snapshot of a moment in other people's lives.

You will see the other LOLs as they pass through your car to get coffee, go to the SSL, or head to the diner for a meal. Sometimes if your roomette door is open, and you look up, someone will stop a moment to chat (asking where someone is headed on this train is a good opening). Sometimes if you are ready to head to the diner at the same time, you'll be seated with them anyway. They can be single or married, but are traveling alone. It's always interesting to share stories. Sometimes you find a lot in common, and sometimes it's just a pleasant way to pass the time and learn new perspectives.

I've only been seated alone once. It will only happen if the train is not full and you hit a really slow time in the diner.

Whether I travel alone or with my wife, the routine is the same. I relax in my room and enjoy the scenery, always seem to find chatty and friendly people in the dining car, go to the lounge for more discussion, then go back to the room, use WiFi sharing and listen to TV on my laptop (Comcast via Verizon is great) or play a movie, read a magazine or book over a beverage. When dinner is served (I try for 5 or 6) that leads to more conversation, then its coffee in the sightseer lounge more chat and its back to the room around 7 to watch TV again. On a train I converse with anyone who wants to chat. I've met ballplayers, cowboys, rich widows, college professors, scientists, lawyers, motorcycle club people, devout Christians, farmers, Amish people, soldiers, a railroad historian, an artist, oil workers, corporate types and the list goes on. I regard myself as a friendly and inquisitive person and this keeps life interesting. I have the bed put down at 10PM, rise at 6 go the breakfast then shower and start the routine over again. If someone wants to chat, I'm ready to rock n roll.

You probably won't believe it until after your trip, but boredom is not a problem.

In spite of this, I always bring along plenty of reading material plus my iPad with a cell connection. Always good intentions to read a physical book or something on the iPad, but all I ever get accomplished is keeping up with email and following the news. Very rare to ever open a book. As others have pointed out, you can loose yourself for hours just watching the scenery and towns go by. I usually alternate between the Lounge car and my coach window seat. Ocassionally a crossword puzzle.

I'm not a very social type, but nevertheless enjoy the lounge car for sightseeing and for a pre-dinner martini or two. Usually have breakfast and dinner in the dining car which will take 2 or 3 hours per day.

A switch is a location where trains can go from one track to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back