What do you do when traveling alone LD over 30 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I love passing by houses and towns at night. It's so peaceful.
I always wonder what's going on inside.Are they sitting down to dinner? Did the kids do their homework? What's on TV?
I do this too. I also wonder if they're thinking "Gee, it would fun to ride a train sometime! " or if it's along the lines of "There's another of those @*&$ trains again!!!!"

TV on the Amtrak?? Thanks Sarah for calming my nerves about going over a switch. What's a switch??
Amtrak does not offer TV, but some people subscribe to TV services through their cell phone plan. You can also stream Netflix and Hulu if you have a decent connection on your phone. You can watch stuff on your tablet or laptop if you use your phone as a hotspot.

A switch looks like this:

350px-Railway_turnout_-_Oulu_Finland.jpg

As CCC1007 said, it allows a train to switch from one track to another.

I almost forgot one of the most fun things I do when traveling: I keep a travel journal on my little netbook computer, which I then edit for my AU trip report! It's a helpful way to sharpen my powers of observation, and remember what I want to describe to Hubby when I return home.

I never thought about just looking at the sights at night.
I concur with others here - this is really a unique thing about the train. The closest you can get elsewhere is driving late at night on a deserted road, but even as a passenger I've found it's really hard to just sit back and relax in a car, and at least where I am, it's hard to find roads without traffic even late at night. In a train, watching the world go by at night is almost a zen-like experience.

Should I get nervous when the train seems as if its coming off the tracks at night.. Seems like they go faster at night than in the daytime.
I don't think you mentioned which route you're taking, but you might not be imagining things. On every route, some sections of track are rougher than others, even if they're rated for the same speed. On most of Amtrak's network, 79mph is the maximum speed, but much of the time that's limited by the lack of automatic train stop (which is just what it sounds like) - the track itself can often sustain higher speeds. On those sections, the ride will feel smooth at maximum speed.

But some sections are only maintained to actually have an 80mph maximum speed (or less) - on those sections, maximum speed will often *feel* like the train is barely managing to stay on the track. That doesn't mean you're in any danger - it's just a rougher ride. It's like driving over a road that's had a bunch of potholes filled in rather than being repaved.

I remember the last time I road the LSL, overnight we seemed to go over some really bad track for an extended period of time. I was woken up several times. A couple of times I was thrown into the net that keeps you from falling out of the bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be on the Crescent to Newark and then back.I do have Cox Cable and maybe they have something I can use , so I need a hotspot to stream Netflix and Hulu?
Yes, if you want to watch them on your tablet or laptop. The trains don't have wi-fi.

If you want to watch them on your phone, then you just need your regular phone connection (3G/4G).

Agreed. I love passing by houses and towns at night. It's so peaceful.
I always wonder what's going on inside.

Are they sitting down to dinner? Did the kids do their homework? What's on TV?
This is me as well. I'll spin stories in my head until I fall asleep as I speed by on the rails. Stories about kids growing up near the tracks who sit on the porch at night when they can't sleep and spin stories about people going by on the train until they fall asleep.

I'll be on the Crescent to Newark and then back.I do have Cox Cable and maybe they have something I can use , so I need a hotspot to stream Netflix and Hulu?
Yes, if you want to watch them on your tablet or laptop. The trains don't have wi-fi.

If you want to watch them on your phone, then you just need your regular phone connection (3G/4G).
And streaming video over a cellular connection uses up a LOT of data. Make sure your plan can handle it or you'll end up paying a ton of money.

Thanks to all of you. I had lost my enthusiasm for riding the train that I had in the beginning because all my family and friends were saying" That sure is a long time riding, If you get on the plane you will be there in 3 hours,,Take a pill and you won't even know you're up in the air", I became ashamed that i enjoyed riding the train.It's actually a mini vacation-no dishes,no cooking,no household duties. lol

Thanks to all of you. I had lost my enthusiasm for riding the train that I had in the beginning because all my family and friends were saying" That sure is a long time riding, If you get on the plane you will be there in 3 hours,,Take a pill and you won't even know you're up in the air", I became ashamed that i enjoyed riding the train.It's actually a mini vacation-no dishes,no cooking,no household duties. lol
Excellent post! As we like to say here on AU, the Vacation starts when you climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow!

Be sure your iphone has a good GPS function and you know how to use it, because it's really fun to watch yourself travel on the iphone, showing you what towns you're going through, and how fast. You wake up in the night wondering, where am I, and, tada!

OK - so here I go, geeking out again. I like to get two GPS's - a handheld and the one on my phone. I use an app called My Tracks on my phone to record waypoints (like stations). I've also put in quite a few on my handheld. These apps are nicer than driving apps because they won't try to "stick" to a road. That being said, getting a good GPS signal onboard is very hard - even when you are right up against the glass.

So, what else do I do? I grab a mini timetable (the paper sheet one, not the book one) and I'll keep track of where we are against the schedule. If I don't have a station in my GPS to track to, I'll put in the city center. When I get to the station, I'll mark it with the Amtrak station code.

On the return trip, I can make a route out of my stations and even though it will show straight lines between each, it's enjoyable to see how far you deviate off the direct line of sight.

It was particularly interesting when I was approaching St. Louis and we stayed at 2 miles away or so for almost 20 minutes as we meandered around the yard and made large radius turns...

I was actually suprised at how much this kept my mind occupied. With stops timed roughly an hour or two apart, you'll be suprised at how time flies (no aircraft flying reference intended).

I, too, keep a journal. However, my journal is a notebook with a pen, rather than computer. And before you say I'm old, I'm only 21 ;)

As for the GPS - good suggestion. Back in Poland I always really enjoy waking up and opening the window to stick my head out to see just exactly where am I by looking on station signs etc. So a bit of nostalgia is lost for me that way, but often you can't tell where you are, especially at night, so the GPS is a great thing to have.

I enjoy leaving the window curtains open and watching late-night America from my roomette. After-midnight stops also are interesting, like this one in Little Rock for the Texas Eagle.

littlerock.jpg

I am always by myself in the room and my route is usually Los Angeles to Chicago round trip. I listen to audiobooks that I keep on my phone because I've found that I get mesmerized looking out the window and never feel like reading books as I don't wanna miss what is outside.

I am always by myself in the room and my route is usually Los Angeles to Chicago round trip. I listen to audiobooks that I keep on my phone because I've found that I get mesmerized looking out the window and never feel like reading books as I don't wanna miss what is outside.
I have the same experience. The times I've brought books, magazines and videos, I find I never use them because the view out the window is far more interesting. I'll occasionally do things like listen to "El Paso" or "Benson, Arizona" when the Texas Eagle nears those cities, but otherwise I seldom even listen to music. I do like to try finding radio stations to get a taste of local flavor, but the few times I've brought a receiver along reception wasn't too good, and wireless Internet isn't reliable enough to data stream many times.

I can keep myself thorughly entertained with a Scanner and Altamont Press Timetables and/or SPV Atlases I may have for the areas I am traveling through. With those in hand I can often determine where we are (at least during the daylight) almost as quickly as if I had the GPS.

I have taken magazines to read on several trips. But I have usually not looked at them, been looking out the window and taking photo's, except in the Met lounge while waiting for the train. On board, I have Microsoft streets and trips w/GPS on my laptop. It records, so I have a lot of my long distance trips on screen.

I carry a laptop with about a half-dozen digitized Official Guides from the 1950s so that I can pick out the name and mileage of every small town along the way....

I enjoy leaving the window curtains open and watching late-night America from my roomette. After-midnight stops also are interesting, like this one in Little Rock for the Texas Eagle.

attachicon.gif
littlerock.jpg
That is awesome. Would love to view that from a train window. When traveling on the Crescent before all I saw was darkness,what was great was seeing the sun come up as night became day. I always have heard about people being on trains were someone with instrument plays music. Never had that happen to me. Now that would be awesome.

I always have heard about people being on trains were someone with instrument plays music. Never had that happen to me. Now that would be awesome.
I've only experienced this once, on the Southwest Chief, when the snack car attendant got on the P.A. and invited anybody with acoustic instruments to come perform. A couple of folks with guitars played some standard rock and country covers and a few people joined in singing.

I always have heard about people being on trains were someone with instrument plays music. Never had that happen to me. Now that would be awesome.
That happens much more on Western trains in the SSL than on eastern trains. Most people (including me) do not even go to the lounge car on eastern LD trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back