Why do YOU take Amtrak for LD trips...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I risk the wrath of the masses by saying so, but I don't mind flying that much. The kind of trips I take on Amtrak usually consist of flying one direction and taking the train back.
You're forgiven by saying you take the train one way at least!
blush.gif

I know I risk the wrath of the masses by saying so, but I don't mind flying that much. The kind of trips I take on Amtrak usually consist of flying one direction and taking the train back.
You're forgiven by saying you take the train one way at least!
blush.gif

That's a load off my mind! :lol: And it should be noted that because of the close proximity of Spokane, the nearest Amtrak station to my home, to Seattle, I will of course be taking the Empire Builder to and from the Gathering. I hope that further mollifies the crowd!

Back in the days of ocean liners the Cunard line had a slogan, "Getting there is half the fun". That definitely applies to the train. It is the civilized way to travel, people just seem to be more friendly on the train. It's one of the few places where you can just kick back and live life in "mosey mode".

The Traveler said it best:

"But the main reason I take a train is that it is part of the vacation!"

I will fly, and have at times enjoyed it. For many years I did not travel very much at all, no particular reason except it always seemed like there was too much to do at home and at work. In the last decade I have been traveling a lot more, mostly around North America, and the train is the way to go. When the train pulls out, my worries and responsibilities vanish and the unfolding landscapes take over my awareness nearly completely.

Yeah.

this one statement captures my feeling exactly: "When the train pulls out, my worries and responsibilities vanish and the unfolding landscapes take over my awareness nearly completely."

The Traveler said it best:

"But the main reason I take a train is that it is part of the vacation!"

I will fly, and have at times enjoyed it. For many years I did not travel very much at all, no particular reason except it always seemed like there was too much to do at home and at work. In the last decade I have been traveling a lot more, mostly around North America, and the train is the way to go. When the train pulls out, my worries and responsibilities vanish and the unfolding landscapes take over my awareness nearly completely.

Yeah.

I have many reasons.

The primary one being that I don't like being confined. I'm mildly claustrophobic and the last time I flew (1999!) I kind of white-knuckled it, stuck midrow between other passengers. I like being able to get up and walk around on a train. I like having a compartment where I can close the door if I don't feel like talking to anyone...and having a lounge car to go to if I feel like finding a friend. The bathrooms on the train are (marginally) larger and better. And I don't know if airlines still have "restricted times" for using the loo like they did shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, but I do know the only "restricted times" on a train are the rare re-watering stops.

Also, where I live now, the drive to the nearest large airport is frankly scary...coupled with the number of hours early I'd have to leave for my flight to deal with traffic, parking hassles, and security. The train station I go to is a 2 1/2 hour drive but it's mostly through the countryside. I can park for free steps away from the station...I arrive early but I've never had to arrive 2 hours early for a train.

I also am not crazy about the TSA rules, or what I have heard of them (As I said, 1999 was the last time I flew). I don't like the idea of being questioned over wanting to carry a bottle of water on board or a pair of 1 1/2 inch long embroidery scissors. And I don't like the thought that I might be one of the ones chosen for an "extra pat down." I don't like people touching me even when they're people I know well; it would come close to freaking me out to have a stranger sticking her hand between my thighs.

I also like being able to watch the scenery from the train. I think part of my airplane claustrophobia stems from the fact that there's really nothing out there when you look out the window. Nothing for thousands and thousands of feet. I know planes are supposedly statistically safer than trains, but I find it hard to believe emotionally.

The last time I flew I was treated pretty much like a piece of livestock. On the train, I find I tend more to be treated as a human being.

I also like having some "wind down" time while I am traveling. I find I arrive at my destination a lot more relaxed when I take the train.

Until recently, I didn't know why travelling by Amtrak was so superior to other modes of transportation, but now, the short list of reasons I will continue to travel by Amtrak are: the no hassle boarding, the friendly crew, the lack of "luggage trouble" at my destination, the variety of people that you can meet on a train, the comfort of the sleeping car and the value compared to the expense of flying or driving and the simple fact that I'm not exhausted from the travel when I reach my destination.
tongue.gif

I've got a combination of the above-listed reasons (enjoying the company, the good food, seeing it as part of the vacation), combined with genuine vitriol at the US airline industry for letting things get so bad (airline security in particular, but deterioration in OBS and fee shenanigans as well). Honestly, given the choice, if I have to fly then I will opt for a non-US based carrier for any flight which I am able to make that decision.

I don't and probaly never will or any train trip for that mater.
Even I would like to know why such a short and curt response. Remember, this is a train lovers form and we have no wish to proselytize you away from the friendly sky's or a great limo service or even the ever present arms of Greyhound, but we are a naturally curious bunch of train lovers. Trains are in our blood, young or old rich or poor, we make no distinctions where our means can carry us, as long as it on the rails. Please share your dislike for train travel.

The only LD trips I've taken recently are some Reno-Salt Lake City weekend trips. The train works on pretty much every level: the price is half or less of what it would be flying (and that's with a stop, which eliminates a lot of the time difference; nonstop is even more) and barely more than what gas would cost to get there; the wonky schedules actually work out in a fashion that maximizes my time there; and driving across Nevada is incredibly dull-not to mention would likely kill my 22-year-old car. Add in the general relaxation that's far more possible on a train than a car or plane, and it's a no-brainer.

I have no fear of flying and don't mind it-though it helps that Reno's airport is 15 minutes away at most from anywhere in the city and is the sort where one can arrive 45 minutes before the plane takes off and have plenty of time to spare. That said, if there was a good way to get between Reno and Vegas on the train, I'd be all over that. Southwest's prices on this route have quadrupled or more in the last 5 years.

Also...random guest is random? Not even a name, and all he says is "I don't want to travel by train"....on a train forum. Okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ticket prices are more concrete (airline prices change with the wind speed)
  • I enjoy the trip itself, it's part of the vacation (as well as meeting new people, seeing sights)
  • Don't have to arrive super super early or anything...I can get to the station about a half hour before hand, make sure I get my tickets and make sure I have everything

and pretty much every other reason people list. lol

Other then having to get on trains either in the middle of the night or very early morning to make connections, I totally enjoy a Amtrak trip. My favorite thing is eating in the diner.

I have a completely irrational fear of flying...no desire at all to be 30,000 feet in a flying tin can. I get nervous driving by an airport. Yes, I do wish I didn't have the fear because I do like to travel...but the entire world was discovered before airplanes were invented. It might take a good bit longer, but I can get anywhere in the world I really want to go...plus, it forces me to slow down and enjoy the trip itself. I don't have to travel too far for work, but if I do make an annual work related trip to NYC, I take the train...it's not really that big of a difference considering one day is considered a travel day regardless of the method of travel...hop on in the evening in Atlanta and in NYC around noon the next day.

Back