Need expert advise for 4 days on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am going to be traveling Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle.

I am traveling alone, and I'm not going to get a roomette, so it will be a challenge. I'm going during the second week of Sept.

I have a few questions from some of you that are more experienced traveling by train.

If I am trying to keep my expenses down, what do you suggest I should carry as far as food, snacks, and drinks. I read the menu and is bit pricey, and yet I don't want to eat peanut butter and jelly and I will be somewhat limited since there is no refrigerator available.

Also, on the Empire I think that is the name Seattle, Chicago which side of the train is the best the nort or south side, and the same applies for the train going from Chicago to LA via New Mexico. I don't want to be in the sunny side.

How about electrical outlet for my laptop

Any other suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks

Also, on the Empire I think that is the name Seattle, Chicago which side of the train is the best the nort or south side, and the same applies for the train going from Chicago to LA via New Mexico. I don't want to be in the sunny side.
I'll leave the first part of your post for someone else to answer who is better qualified, although I will say that I usually do eat in the diner (even though it's expensive) because the dining car is such a quintissential part of the train experience. Being forced to sit with others you wouldn't normally sit with sounds weird, but it's one of the coolest things--sometimes you walk away with lifetime friends!

Anyway, I don't know much specifically about the scenery of the Empire Builder or Southwest Chief, but the sun is usually found in the southern part of the sky. To avoid the sun, then, you'd want to sit on the north side of the train. You'll likely spend much of the daylight hours in the lounge car, though, so it probably wouldn't matter much what side of the train your actual coach seat is on.

On these two trains, I wouldn't count on having an at-seat plug--if you do, consider it a very rare, special occurrence! Very few of the Superliner cars used on these trains have been refurbished with at-seat plugs. At the very most, you might find a plug near seat(if I recall correctly) 34 and another one near seat 55, as well as another one or two in the lounge car near the upstairs (former) bar area. Hint: if you find an available outlet and have an extension cord and power strip, you'll be EVERYONE's best friend and might end up with a few free beers or something!

With how crowded the trains have been lately, I would not expect that the one or two seats with an electrical outlet, on the "good scenery" side of the car, will still be empty when you board.

With how crowded the trains have been lately, I would not expect that the one or two seats with an electrical outlet, on the "good scenery" side of the car, will still be empty when you board.
There is one small thing working in the OP's favor: he/she is boarding at all of these trains' initial terminals.

If he/she arrives early enough to be at the head of the line, he/she may have a semi-decent shot at getting one of these coveted seats. If he/she is the passenger of a halfway friendly car attendant, he/she could possibly get lucky enough if he/she asks the attendant for one of these seats when boarding.

(OP Guest, do a search through these forums for something like "power outlets" and look--there are a handful of posts which have the specific seat numbers of rows with functioning outlets.)

When I travel coach (which is too often :( ) and alone (again too often :( ), to lower the expense of food, I just have breakfast and dinner in the dining car. You can be filled with those 2 meals, and if you do get hungry during the day, you can always to to the lounge and get something like chips or a hot dog.

Also, at some of the stops, you could get something like candy, soda or something from the station. Or at transfer points (like CHI or LAX), you may be able to grab something in the station or nearby.

Just remember that any food you bring, you need to carry it. If you board in SEA and bring a cooler and bottles of soda for your trip, unless you want to leave the cooler somewhere, you'll have to carry it with you throughout the whole trip!

We took the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago and back with a 20 yr old and a 16 yr old this summer. I didn't buy any meals although I wanted to eat the last dinner on board. We missed that somehow. Anyway, my kids brought a few drinks (gatorade I think), some crackers/cookies, chips, some of that overpriced but very good fruit that comes prepared in the produce section of the grocery store, granola bars, etc. We bought a couple things from the snack bar in the train (OVERPRICED) and along the way. We had a duffel bag of just food. Oh, also brought some canned fruit (pineapple and pears) with pop top lids. The dry stuff kept us somewhat full and the fruit seemed very tasty, estpecially that fruit spread we got at the grocery store.

We had a car with outlets at every seat on both trains to and from Chicago. We were in one on the way to CHI and not on the way back. We did manage to sit in one for a bit to recharge the batteries in our phones when the train emptied after Raton on the way to LA.

Dan

When I travel coach (which is too often :( ) and alone (again too often :( ), to lower the expense of food, I just have breakfast and dinner in the dining car. You can be filled with those 2 meals, and if you do get hungry during the day, you can always to to the lounge and get something like chips or a hot dog.
Also, at some of the stops, you could get something like candy, soda or something from the station. Or at transfer points (like CHI or LAX), you may be able to grab something in the station or nearby.

Just remember that any food you bring, you need to carry it. If you board in SEA and bring a cooler and bottles of soda for your trip, unless you want to leave the cooler somewhere, you'll have to carry it with you throughout the whole trip!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am sorry I should have made it clearer. I do understand about having the experience eating in the Dining car. I guess I was trying to get some idea like someone mentioned to eat some meal at the Diner. I guess I'll eat the usual greasy/fatty snacks for lunch since I am not too crazy about chips or hot dogs. Believe me I'm not a vegetarian or vegan I just like to eat healhy. I didn't know that I could have time to get off the train and buy some snacks or something, interesting.

As far as the electrical outlet I guess I would have to get lucky. I'm not sure if I could have the luxury to choose and pick, as someone here mentioned the trains are very crowded these days and I don't think people would be that patience. I'll bring a power strip to make my trip more enjoyable.

Again, thanks for the comments and if any other suggestions about any of the trains I'm taking please let me know

I didn't know that I could have time to get off the train and buy some snacks or something, interesting.
What I meant by time off the train is that some stops are like 15-30 minutes, where you might be able to grab something from a machine at the station or a stand at the station. But other stops may be only 30 seconds! So be careful! The train will leave with or without you!

And at some of the connection points, you may have 2-8 hours between trains! That should be enough time to grab some food.

As far as keeping yourself fed goes, while you can get off the train for a few minutes at many of the intermediate stops, you generally shouldn't count on finding more than a couple of vending machines during that time ... at least you'll be able to get a cold soda at less-than-Amtrak prices. One exception might be Havre, where a little catering truck sometimes meets the train, selling sandwiches and stuff. (At least it used to -- I haven't been up there in the last year or so.)

And remember that a dining car dinner is roughly twice as much as the other meals ... so if you're saving money that might be the meal to skip.

On the Empire Builder, the north side of the train is better in the Whitefish-West Glacier area, but there's more scenery to the south as you crest Marias Pass. For most of the trip, though, it doesn't matter too much. Find a seat on the north side to avoid the sun, and then get up early and stake out a seat in the lounge for the Marias Pass crossing.

As for the Southwest Chief, the north side might have a very slight advantage, going up Raton and seeing the mesas in New Mexico. If you like watching the activity at the stations, more of those are on the north. (Most of the stations on the EB route are on the south side of the tracks.)

I am going to be traveling Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle.
I am traveling alone, and I'm not going to get a roomette, so it will be a challenge. I'm going during the second week of Sept.

I have a few questions from some of you that are more experienced traveling by train.

If I am trying to keep my expenses down, what do you suggest I should carry as far as food, snacks, and drinks. I read the menu and is bit pricey, and yet I don't want to eat peanut butter and jelly and I will be somewhat limited since there is no refrigerator available.

Any other suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks
For such a " coach" adventure, you must be young. If your train is close to full, you most likely will be assigned a seat with another single, Sleeping can be difficult. Prepack a kit for the AM trip to the rest room. Most important is deodorant, wash cloth, soap, tooth paste, small hand towel, CHANGE OF CLOTHES..etc.don't fumble with your suitcase while others are still sleeping. Cup-O-Noodels is probably the best bargan.You can get ice for free(should tip) from the lounge person so you could keep lunchmeat cold for a few sandwiches. You can be frugal but please be considerate. Jim

I also travel alone most of the time. In fact, I might be on the same train as you on the first leg of your trip.

Usually I have enough food with me to cover the first day. Just sandwiches that don't take up a lot of room. Breakfast seems to be the most reasonable meal in the diner, but I get lounge food for the other meals.

Oh, and as far as bring food along, keep in mind that you'll be eating in a confined space filled with a few dozen other people -- they'll appreciate it if you don't pack food that's too messy and/or smelly.

Though I don't suggest subsisting entirely on it, my favorite thing to pack is trail mix -- easy to snack on, and lots of calories in a compact package.

Someone suggested sports drinks. To lighten the load, pack the dry packet version of the sports drinks or water flavorings. I like to bring some durable fruit such as apples and oranges. I've even brought my garden's cherry tomatoes and sparked up the diner's salad. You could bring other salad additions such as sunflower seeds, soybean nuts or peanuts to place on the greens and make the more modest salad into something satisfying. (Be discreet.) The on-table dressing packets are huge.

If you have time check out a camping book in a sports store and you can find some additional choices.

Use a light-weight foldable cold storage container to bring food onboard and replenish it if you find a grocery store along the way. Some heavy weight doubled plastic bags inside can store your ice and be refilled as you go. For the first day freeze a water bottle at home for your substitute ice. Freeze milk in a small water bottle to go with your own cereal. Put nuts and raisins in with your cereal to make it last longer. Instant coffee, sugar and cream. Bagels, jelly and cream cheese packets. A loaf of good bread and cheese with cured meat-pastrami (?). Hand wash packets.

MRE's are another possibility, although you shouldn't use the chemical heater inside the train. Microwave?

The meals seem large to me so if you're going to skip meals, skip the dinner for price. It's just easier to bring replacements for lunch and breakfast than it is for dinner.

Someone suggested sports drinks. To lighten the load, pack the dry packet version of the sports drinks or water flavorings. I like to bring some durable fruit such as apples and oranges. I've even brought my garden's cherry tomatoes and sparked up the diner's salad. You could bring other salad additions such as sunflower seeds, soybean nuts or peanuts to place on the greens and make the more modest salad into something satisfying. (Be discreet.) The on-table dressing packets are huge.
If you have time check out a camping book in a sports store and you can find some additional choices.

Use a light-weight foldable cold storage container to bring food onboard and replenish it if you find a grocery store along the way. Some heavy weight doubled plastic bags inside can store your ice and be refilled as you go. For the first day freeze a water bottle at home for your substitute ice. Freeze milk in a small water bottle to go with your own cereal. Put nuts and raisins in with your cereal to make it last longer. Instant coffee, sugar and cream. Bagels, jelly and cream cheese packets. A loaf of good bread and cheese with cured meat-pastrami (?). Hand wash packets.

MRE's are another possibility, although you shouldn't use the chemical heater inside the train. Microwave?

The meals seem large to me so if you're going to skip meals, skip the dinner for price. It's just easier to bring replacements for lunch and breakfast than it is for dinner.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Well for starters, no I'm not a chronologically youngster I just retired, but on the other hand I always have to show proof of my age, I guess I'm blessed, even on the phone people don't believe me, I'm blushing now but thanks

I really appreciate the suggestion about which side to sit. So I'll be aiming toward the north side on both trains, of course going up to Seattle the West (sunny side) is the best. I ffigure by getting a seat up in the lounge it would be nice, but will be planning to carry my MP3 player to filter all the cacophony.....

I agree about bringing spicey, tuna yikes and some people do. It sounds so gross being a confined area with those odors yikes ! I do like the idea bringing some Pita bread, cheese and some sturdy fruits. Oranges/ apples no bananas for sure.

If the choices of food to get at the stops is vending machine quality I'll skip since I don't eat that type of food at home. I eat home cooked as much as possible. I agree that the food on board is very pricey $21 for a decent meal w/o drinks and tipping, but it could be worse if it was all inclusive a la cruise. Since I won't be dealing with TSA I could bring a small pocket knife to slice some cheese and some pressutto. I'll bring in some bottle water, and a 6 pack of diet drink, and will be budgeting to buy dinner. I think I'm going to skip lunch and rely on my snack and have dinner instead.

I guess I'm not the only one here that likes trains, but don't ride as frequently. There is one train that I'm dying to do the Siberian train, that would be incredible.... maybe if I win the Lotto

Thanks to all

Also, just came off the Empire round trip and it was packed. Dome car/lounge seating was premium seating so try to get there early before others are awake. Oranges are great and also act as a natural deoderizer so it makes your little area smell quite nice. It can get a bit funky in those cars after that many days. I often bring a small baby powder container and brush it thru my hair. It absorbs oil and refreshes your hair and again, leaves a mild but pleaseant scent. Chicago Union Station besides all the usual food court vendors, has a "Corner Bakery" and a nut stand, where you could pick up healthy breads/sandwiches, fruit, and a variety of nuts and popcorn. If you have time, don't feel like you can't leave the station. There are many drug stores, delis, and other places to go minutes from Union.

Also, just came off the Empire round trip and it was packed. Dome car/lounge seating was premium seating so try to get there early before others are awake. Oranges are great and also act as a natural deoderizer so it makes your little area smell quite nice. It can get a bit funky in those cars after that many days. I often bring a small baby powder container and brush it thru my hair. It absorbs oil and refreshes your hair and again, leaves a mild but pleaseant scent. Chicago Union Station besides all the usual food court vendors, has a "Corner Bakery" and a nut stand, where you could pick up healthy breads/sandwiches, fruit, and a variety of nuts and popcorn. If you have time, don't feel like you can't leave the station. There are many drug stores, delis, and other places to go minutes from Union.

Oh my, you got me laughing so hard, I never realized about the confinement and the probability of body oder. Hmmmm, I was thinking even flying these days personal hygiene is a low priority.... the idea about taking some oranges sounds great, and those handy wipes (alcohol scent) which would help me to sniff it when need it. I will continue later

Oh my, you got me laughing so hard, I never realized about the confinement and the probability of body oder. Hmmmm, I was thinking even flying these days personal hygiene is a low priority.... the idea about taking some oranges sounds great, and those handy wipes (alcohol scent) which would help me to sniff it when need it. I will continue later
Sorry I have been trouble shooting my laptop since last night, I have been on the phone ever since. phew...

Anyways, maybe I should get one of those surgical mask for the BO. lol, but seriously, it was a good pointer about getting a seat in the lounge car early, but I have heard cases were people remove your stuff from the seat if you need to go to the bathroom is that right. I am planning to take my laptop and movies, so I won't be relying on watching their movies, I am sure that are going to be mostly for kids.

I am considering this experience like going on a camping trip w/o any shower except it will be cofining. I guess I did't make it too clear. I am going to spend 5 days in Chicago, then head to LAX, spend another 5 days until I head back to Seattle so that will be a break, but thanks for the pointer about Chgo Union station.

Is there anything else that you mind sharing about your experience aboard the Empire>

Mike,

I'm away for the weekend using a slow internet connection and came upon this topic too late. I saw your registrations earlier and was confused by the fact that you had more than one. Especially since you used some odd names, like "searching" on one of your registrations. This is typical of spammers unfortunately, and therefore I deleted the registrations. I am sorry. :(

Please accept my apology and if you register once again, I promise I will approve your membership here once I see it. Although please just register once, otherwise I won't know which one to approve. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RE getting off train at stops to eat. On the Southwest Chief we stopped in Albuquerque for close to 90 mins on the way east because we were ahead of schedule. We walked around town for an hour or more of that and found some places to eat not far from the station. ON the return trip we were late so they said just a few minutes so we only went inside the station. There was some kind of fast food place in there but we didn't get anything to eat.

Most other stops were not long enough to go far at all on the SWC.

Dan

Sound advice. I really miss the real railroad french toast for breakfast. These days, I'd get the omelette du jour just to let the cooks know some of us appreciate the fact we can still purchase fresh-cooked eggs on a train. :)

I'd suggest bringing some snacks like granola bars or trail mix for munchies. Snacks with chocolate in them make you thirsty.

As for cleanliness, these days, the waterless bath stuff is a lot better than it used to be. In the bad old days, a sponge bath in the restroom was all you could hope for on a trip like that...

Have a good trip!

As for cleanliness, these days, the waterless bath stuff is a lot better than it used to be. In the bad old days, a sponge bath in the restroom was all you could hope for on a trip like that...
I'm curious--what's this waterless bath stuff? :unsure: I'd love to know and be able to use it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have packed my waterless shampoo for my next trip. You spray it in your hair and while it doesn't make you feel as clean as you do after shampooing, it certainly is better than nothing.

While in the hospital for 10 days back in February I used it and it was very refreshing. My DH got it at Walgreens.

Those little soft sided coolers on a shoulder strap hold a lot, it's surprising, and when you are done with them they collapse into a flatter package to go in your luggage. I used one on a 36 hour train trip and put frozen bottles of fresh juice that I made at home in it. I froze the juice in empty water bottles. It kept the juice fresh and kept the other things in the cooler cold, the last little bag of cut-up cheese was still cool 36 hours later. That was two whole days and one overnight. Maybe you can find a way to re-fill it halfway through the trip and bring some double ziploc bags to put some ice in on the train. Do you have any layover anywhere where you could get to a grocery store?

The poster above who said pre-made fresh fruit salads from the grocery store had a good idea. On my trip I brought cheese already cut up in little bags, rice crackers, a few corn chips I think, the frozen bottles of carrot juice and grapefruit juice, trail mix that I made myself with raisins, walnuts, almonds and dried cranberries, and one apple, I wished I had brought more apples.

I only bought coffee and maybe one bottle of water which I refilled. It was heavy to carry the frozen juice but it didn't really matter. I felt great and really healthy and hardly spent a dime.

Mike,
I'm away for the weekend using a slow internet connection and came upon this topic too late. I saw your registrations earlier and was confused by the fact that you had more than one. Especially since you used some odd names, like "searching" on one of your registrations. This is typical of spammers unfortunately, and therefore I deleted the registrations. I am sorry. :(

Please accept my apology and if you register once again, I promise I will approve your membership here once I see it. Although please just register once, otherwise I won't know which one to approve. :)
The reason being that I have applied is that after applying, I kept waiting, waiting, waiting and no response;therefore, I applied again. I have other things in my life that spending time using the computer to spam, I am sorry but I do have a life besides traveling by train.

And to those of you that I have attacking spaming you can report to whomever if you can prove that indeed that has been the case enjoye yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back