Pet Hamster?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello college student, This thread has been like a LD ride.

How about an update if your still out there

The Service Animal regulations/definitions were changed a little while ago.

Any animal who's primary purpose is companionship or comfort, is specifically excluded from being legally considered a Service Animal. * correct per 2010 change *

To be considered a Service Animal, the animal is required to have been trained by a recognized Service Animal training facility. For example, if you have a Service Dog to help with seeing (or your lack thereof), you need to be able to show it was trained by, for example, Guiding Eyes, and not simply by your neighbor's kid.
Source please ..

the very least you can quote a CFR or what not ..

The ADA was last revised as far as I am aware ( and I AM hadicapped I had to battle my college with some stuff and I spent all of my break reading case law and ALL of the 2010 changes )

in '10 http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Mr College OP ....... dont laugh but we were forbidden to have any mammals for pets when I was in college ( for the last 9 years ) . one of my doom mates had a lobster as a pet ......... thank god I hate seafood else Mr crabs would have met a un timely demise as that thing got HUGE after a while ...

. Me I had aloe plants . Great for burns .

Its tough being in that age range . Most the old farts here have no clue .

you have freedom but with so many catch 22's its sick ........

some one over 60 ... did any rent a car place put age restrictions on rentals ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever hear of a seizure dog?
No I haven't heard about them although I don't think you can drive if you suffer from seizures so that probably isn't the case with this woman. I wasn't offended by the fact that she had the dog with her in the first place although she seemed to treat and carry the dog as if it was a purse which made me think it probably wasn't a trained service dog.There were plenty of other people rolling their eyes in her direction though. I didn't pay much attention at the time but thought about it when I was reading these posts regarding animals. When I saw her I assumed Amtrak had relaxed their rules to include comfort dogs like you see so much of on planes nowadays.

I like on forums how people get all upset when someone wants to break rules. Everyone breaks rules in some way or another. Go onto any highway in America and drive 5 mph above the speed limit and count the cars that pass you and the cars you pass. I am sure more cars will pass you. This is just one example, but the point is, everyone breaks some rule which is probably not right, but it is the way our country works. Ever here the saying, rules are made to be broken.

As for the OP, if the hamster is out of sight and out of mind, I am sure you can get away with it. However, you do need to understand the risks involved which could include getting caught or something happening to your beloved friend. You are going to college. I am not sure what your major is, but you should be developing your skills to make decisions. Nothing is perfect in this world and you need the weigh the pros and cons to make the best decision for you, but when things go wrong, you need to take responsibility.

We have guine pigs and had one that we traveled with and she was quiet when the car was moving.
Oh look, another specimen of entitled passenger thinking they are above the rules. gn2276, would you also say it is okay for me to travel without a ticket on Amtrak trains if I be quiet when the car is moving?

Yes, the anti-pet rules on Amtrak might be a bit harsh, but as law-abiding citizens, we ought to follow what the rule is. If you don't agree with the policy, please use alternate mode of transport rather than trying to give ideas to people to break rules.
Not everyone follows the letter-of-the-law Texan, and that's OK by me.AS LONG AS when/if "busted" they don't complain or *****.
Ever hear the phrase "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"? Ever park w/out paying the meter? Cross the street when the sign reads "Do not walk"? Most of us have....and I for one am willing to take that chance. I used to not pay .25 for a meter for five minutes, ......but I've often been slapped with a $35 parking ticket too.... And THAT is the "Time" in this example. (Revenue goes to the city, I'm OK with that....)

If the college student is aware of what COULD happen, if they were caught enroute, and they still decide to attempt this, so be it. YOU, as a felliow passenger, also have every right to "rat them out" (I'm sticking with the rodent theme here....)

But if the rider IS caught, they need to be ready to be thrown off train, with absolutely no protestation.

thank you all for your advice and concern. My hamster and I are on the train safely and the conductors think she's adorable. Maybe I wont give on amtrak after all.

Are you serious. How great!

Please come back and tell us the whole story as it plays out

That's awesome. :) I kind of want to see a picture of the hamster now. They're so cute.

There was a loose "pet" on the Cardinal in October. Don't know if it's owner got booted off the train or not. :D

When you decide to become a member I don't think Meat Puppet would mind if you took the handle

Hamtrak

i originally had her in my carry on but i took her porta-cage out to give her some cucumbers-- that how they stay hydrated without having a bottle spilled all over the place. i didnt notice the conductor until he said "awww. it tooks so sleepy" The conductor was very nice and since today is a slow day and i had no one next to me, he let me keep her on the seat next to me. he asked me about her; name, age, and breed. he formally introduced himself to my hamster and told the other conductors they said to make sure she is hydrated and warm in her cage. They didnt bother us at all.

That's great to hear!

But I want to warn you that the conductors change during the trip. (I think they switch at Albany.) The new crew may or may not be as welcoming. I hope they are, but I just wanted to let you know.

(Argument with myself - don't say it! Only anal retentive train fans say stuff like that... But it's wrong and I need to point it out... no, don't point it out, it will probably just confuse/annoy the OP... but what if a situation DOES occur where she needs to know this information?... alright, anal-retentive train self, you win...)

Technically, you haven't spoken to a conductor and "other conductors". There's only one conductor on a train at a time. He or she may have assistant conductors, but you've probably also encountered car attendants and many other employees. Not everyone on the train is a conductor, in the same way that not everyone in a store is the manager. Also, I'm not sure of your route, but on many routes the train crew will change along the way, and you may get a new conductor. So, your car attendant, Assistant Conductor, and other Amtrak employees you've encountered may not have been bothered by your hamster, but do not be surprised if someone else onboard later claims to be the "Conductor" and tells you otherwise.

You are SUCH an anal rententive railfan.....

:D

While you were arguing with yourself, though, another anal retentive railfan beat you to the same answer. See what happens when you think too hard?

Meanwhile, I never got to mention those points because I was too busy arguing with MYself...

Just to let you know, on the Empire Corridor (except for the LSL), there are no car attendants. This is also true on most NEC and corridor trains - only LD trains have car attendants. But conductors and assistant conductors are on every train.

i originally had her in my carry on but i took her porta-cage out to give her some cucumbers-- that how they stay hydrated without having a bottle spilled all over the place. i didnt notice the conductor until he said "awww. it tooks so sleepy" The conductor was very nice and since today is a slow day and i had no one next to me, he let me keep her on the seat next to me. he asked me about her; name, age, and breed. he formally introduced himself to my hamster and told the other conductors they said to make sure she is hydrated and warm in her cage. They didnt bother us at all.
You lucked out, kid. Next time, you might get some hard-ass who doesn't think cousins of rats are "cute."

im sorry that i dont know the correct terms for train employees. You dont need to be so anal. I saw the man I was talking to talk to 2 people about the hamster. I still have my hamster next to me and no one has even batted an eye.

You lucked out, kid. Next time, you might get some hard-ass who doesn't think cousins of rats are "cute."
Yes, she has lucked out. Some will apply the rules hard and fast and others will look the other way.
The way I would handle it if I were a conductor ( I might be one...) is that if I saw the Hamster before she got on the train I would explain to her she could not bring the Hamster. If I saw the Hamster onboard I would explain that it was not allowed onboard. Assuming the Hamster is behaving and so is she that would be the end of it. However others might just toss her off which would be their prerogative.

There was a loose "pet" on the Cardinal in October. Don't know if it's owner got booted off the train or not. :D

attachicon.gif
1016131429_forAUposting.jpg
I can't figure out what this creature is - a bug?

im sorry that i dont know the correct terms for train employees. You dont need to be so anal. I saw the man I was talking to talk to 2 people about the hamster. I still have my hamster next to me and no one has even batted an eye.
Cross your fingers that the police won't be meeting the train at the next stop to toss you off.....

I can't stand the suspense! Please let us know when you and the favorite pet reach your destination! Some if the negative points made by individuals here have some merit, but this doesn't have to be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back