Stephen Gardner new Amtrak president

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a perfect world IMHO opinion there would be two trains a day between Chicago and Washington, D.C. And one to NYC and one to Boston.
Why would you put two trains on the weakest Chicago - East Coast route (ignoring the Cardinal for the moment) while keeping only one train to the strongest Chicago - East Coast route? Seems weird to me.

Amtrak recognized the potential for a ridership increase for the Michigan stations by re-routing the LSL. There's a sample timetable floating around somewhere when Amtrak was going to pilot an LSL reroute over the Michigan Line, if I can find it I'll post it.
Pardon my ignorance, but if the LSL went through Michigan, would it be routed through Ontario between Buffalo and Detroit? The only way I could see that happening is if the train was buttoned up for the transit through Canada, and even then I am not sure that the current climate would allow it.

Pardon my ignorance, but if the LSL went through Michigan, would it be routed through Ontario between Buffalo and Detroit? The only way I could see that happening is if the train was buttoned up for the transit through Canada, and even then I am not sure that the current climate would allow it.
That would be the shortest way, but part of the route that they ran that way in the past is no longer there.

The Capitol Limited would have to be swapped for single-level cars then in order to take advantage of the 110 mph running across the AML. The Supers are limited to I believe 100.
I believe they should run single levels on the Capitol Limited anyway, regardless of how it’s routed, to allow it to combine at Pittsburgh with the Pennsylvania, and allow more Superliners for the Western trains.

Routing through Ontario will happen only in the feverish dreams of rail fans. In the real world? No, that won't happen for many reasons, including the absence of operating rail tracks on part of that route used in the past, even if CBP and CBSA could come around to allow such, which they won't.

It's funny how Canada to Canada freight trains operate through the US with little more than a radio call and US to US freight trains operate through Canada without much more. It's those darn passengers that cause all the problems.

It's funny how Canada to Canada freight trains operate through the US with little more than a radio call and US to US freight trains operate through Canada without much more. It's those darn passengers that cause all the problems.
I guess if we could simply lock up and seal the people in freight cars/containers things should work out just fine with just a signature :D

Wait! Don't they already use that technique to smuggle people across the other border into the US? Allegedly?

Last edited:
Why would you put two trains on the weakest Chicago - East Coast route (ignoring the Cardinal for the moment) while keeping only one train to the strongest Chicago - East Coast route? Seems weird to me.

Agreee. Without the dwell time to switch cars in/out, and with a bit more 100mph running (which is possible with a little $$$) Chicago - NYC should have like 4 trains a day. With proper marketing and services, it would be a very popular route.

The Capitol Limited route is always going to be slow if it stays on that meandering CSX route. It’s scenic along the river... but very slow.

It is almost certain that we will never see a CHI - NYP train traverse Canada again, at least not in the foreseeable future. Those days are behind us. Any AML (Amtrak Michigan Line) routed CHI - NYP train will use the WLR east of Toledo. One could get route via NS east of Cleveland, if that, and that is about it. Maybe someday one could go via the NY Southern Tier at most, after service becomes possible. But Canada? Fuggedaboudit, as they'd say in Brooklyn.
Can I ask the rationale for being so inexplicably dogmatic about the no through Canada routing? It makes a lot of sense especially in conjunction with VIA. Both are projected higher speed lines. If the Michigan line is higher speed, the VIA lines are higher speed, and the Water Level Route from Buffalo to NYP is higher speed, you have a train that serves some huge travel markets. There is zero operational impediment to it. The routes largely have passenger service already. As an aside, there are unfortunately more than a few in the advocacy community that are always pouring cold water on people’s ideas. In my experience, their negativity is as always grounded in misconception as in reality. I for one believe that Chicago-Detroit-Toronto-Buffalo-Néw York is a winner, and will happen. Bank on it.

Can I ask the rationale for being so inexplicably dogmatic about the no through Canada routing? It makes a lot of sense especially in conjunction with VIA. Both are projected higher speed lines. If the Michigan line is higher speed, the VIA lines are higher speed, and the Water Level Route from Buffalo to NYP is higher speed, you have a train that serves some huge travel markets. There is zero operational impediment to it. The routes largely have passenger service already. As an aside, there are unfortunately more than a few in the advocacy community that are always pouring cold water on people’s ideas. In my experience, their negativity is as always grounded in misconception as in reality. I for one believe that Chicago-Detroit-Toronto-Buffalo-Néw York is a winner, and will happen. Bank on it.
While I would certainly like to see what you're suggesting actually happen, I'm with @jis on this one. It's difficult to avoid bringing politics into this discussion, so to over-simplify the problem the US would have to "feel more secure" and ease border-crossing restrictions and Canada would have to stop reacting to "one-up" every measure the US puts in place. A change of government in Washington may help, but a more "American-friendly" government in Ottawa would definitely be needed to expedite things from Canada's end.

We're getting a little off-topic too.

Just consider how many years it has taken to even get C&I processing done at logical end points of international runs, and you will have the answer to your question. It is not I that is dogmatic. It is the post 9/11 dogma of the border security establishment.

We're getting a little off-topic too.
Yeah. Stephen Gardner is not necessarily the one that can get the funding issues resolved at Gare Centrale anyway. Nor can he do much about running locked door trains in Canada with both CBP and CBSE dead set against it.

He could though help in getting the Vermonter extended to Montreal once the modifications are done at the station and US and Canadian C&I move in there.

Routing through Ontario will happen only in the feverish dreams of rail fans. In the real world? No, that won't happen for many reasons, including the absence of operating rail tracks on part of that route used in the past, even if CBP and CBSA could come around to allow such, which they won't.

It's not at all a feverish dream....and I hardly consider myself a railfan. When the Niagara Rainbow was operating, Canadian customs locked the cars they needed to lock and that was it. No need to make a stop in Canada so you can "seal" the train and travel directly to the next border. The tracks are still in place between Detroit and Niagara Falls, too.

When I took the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle in 2015, we spent maybe 10-15 minutes stopped at the border and that was it. It can be done with effort.

Stephen Gardner would have to really pursue it, and I don't know if he would past restoration of Chicago-Toronto service.

The Capitol Limited would have to be swapped for single-level cars then in order to take advantage of the 110 mph running across the AML. The Supers are limited to I believe 100.
If only! I for one wouldn't care if the CL were limited to 100mph. What really counts is raising the speed and rail comfort at that speed on the rest of the route. The idea is not to have the fastest train on one portion particularly if there are other trains that already can do it but to have a fast train across the route so the people on the east coast see a fast train, not one that goes 10mph faster in Michigan.

The tracks are still in place between Detroit and Niagara Falls, too.
Excuse me? Without a fairly extreme diversion this is not true. The line originally used for this service is partly pulled up, with much of the rest being a low-grade shortline.

When I took the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle in 2015, we spent maybe 10-15 minutes stopped at the border and that was it. It can be done with effort.
This train is the exception rather than the rule. The International was routinely subject to a delay of up to an hour in both directions, as was the Montrealer. The Maple Leaf could often exceed 60 minutes southbound, with a long line outside in the bitter cold with luggage. I'm not sure the International is viable ever again (and trust me - I miss it) and the latter two both need pre-clearance in Canada with a sealed run to the border.

Excuse me? Without a fairly extreme diversion this is not true. The line originally used for this service is partly pulled up, with much of the rest being a low-grade shortline.

This train is the exception rather than the rule. The International was routinely subject to a delay of up to an hour in both directions, as was the Montrealer. The Maple Leaf could often exceed 60 minutes southbound, with a long line outside in the bitter cold with luggage. I'm not sure the International is viable ever again (and trust me - I miss it) and the latter two both need pre-clearance in Canada with a sealed run to the border.
7288A884-4E49-4B5B-B31B-C00D09BE02D4.jpeg
Unless I’m missing something or this map is incorrect, the line between Detroit and Niagara Falls is there. It’s the CN Grimsby Sub in the latter half. I’m not sure what the original routing of the Rainbow was but there’s still infrastructure in place for a new service.

Is there any weight to the idea of an EU-style border between the US and Canada, where US/CA citizens can get through with little hassle? I bet Gardner would be able to try and work with his Congress contacts to gauge interest but I must admit it seems like an uphill battle to say the least.

Why would Amtrak want to run a LD train through Canada? I wish they had the Chicago - Toronto train back, but no need for a LD.

Why would Amtrak want to run a LD train through Canada? I wish they had the Chicago - Toronto train back, but no need for a LD.

Alternative to running down to TOL and then east. It’ll be a little quicker if you can get the border stuff figured out.

Alternative to running down to TOL and then east. It’ll be a little quicker if you can get the border stuff figured out.

Well there’s no way it would actually be quicker with borders, and even so.. you shouldn’t skip American cities with a LD train.

VIA Rails Windsor - Toronto line and the Maple Leaf share the last three stations: Aldershot, Oakville & Toronto. The two trains begin sharing the same tracks just West of Aldershot at a wye located just North of Hamilton, Ontario.
Map - VIA Maple leaf Join.png
Undated imagery shows the tracks intact at this wye, so unless some of it was torn up recently it looks to me like a train between Detroit/Windsor and Buffalo would at least have rails to run on.

Is there any weight to the idea of an EU-style border between the US and Canada, where US/CA citizens can get through with little hassle? I bet Gardner would be able to try and work with his Congress contacts to gauge interest but I must admit it seems like an uphill battle to say the least.

The immigration and customs officials on both sides of the border are the ones who want the present system, and they have ample discretion on checking border-crossers more strictly or leniently. For Congress to take it out of their hands and impose a Schengen-style system (an EU-style system as you put it), Congress and the Canadian Parliament would have to align the US and Canadian visa schemes; that is, the US and Canada would have to have the same policy on allowing and excluding people from the various other nations at their external entry points (airports, seaports, the US-Mexico border, etc.) to eliminate the need for formalities at the "internal" US-Canada border. You couldn't have a situation where, for instance, Canada allows Cubans to enter but the US doesn't, or the US requires a visa from the United Arab Emirates but Canada doesn't.

VIA Rails Windsor - Toronto line and the Maple Leaf share the last three stations: Aldershot, Oakville & Toronto. The two trains begin sharing the same tracks just West of Aldershot at a wye located just North of Hamilton, Ontario.
View attachment 19757
Undated imagery shows the tracks intact at this wye, so unless some of it was torn up recently it looks to me like a train between Detroit/Windsor and Buffalo would at least have rails to run on.
You are correct, but so am I. That wye is a long way from the border crossing. It is Bayview Junction, north of Hamilton, where trains from Toronto diverge in two directions - to Windsor/Sarnia and Hamilton/Niagara Falls. It is within the commuter rail perimeter of Toronto and is used daily by GO Transit. Using it would certainly work, but would add so much travel time to the trip that going via Toledo for purposes of this discussion would be way faster. Even Amtrak allows over an hour each way for the Maple Leaf to get from Niagara this side of C&I to Bayview Junction. It's mostly single track, dodging mixed freight and GO trains. The line needed to make Amtrak through Canada service work was the joint CSX route that headed almost due west from the border crossing, hugging the north shore of Lake Erie to a junction near Chatham on NSC1109's map above. Some of the tracks are in place for a shortline to serve small industries; part is long gone (although I believe the ROW is still in-place). A side-note is that the route didn't even use the same bridge as the Maple Leaf... Google Michigan Central Railway Bridge for more information.

Last edited:
View attachment 19756
Unless I’m missing something or this map is incorrect, the line between Detroit and Niagara Falls is there. It’s the CN Grimsby Sub in the latter half. I’m not sure what the original routing of the Rainbow was but there’s still infrastructure in place for a new service.

The map is correct, but unfortunately you are missing something. The route you're suggesting adds so much time to the trip that it would be more practical for purposes of this discussion to go through Cleveland and Toledo to reach Detroit. Please review the details above, then add in that Amtrak on the current (suspended) timetable allows almost 2 hours in each direction for the Maple Leaf customs stop. It does not usually take that long (60-90 minutes is normal depending on passenger loads), but on top of your northerly reroute staying on the American side of Lake Erie makes much more sense. Now if someone had the money to rebuild the tracks and the train could run sealed without stops in Canada, we'd have something to discuss.

Isn't there also a rather slow transfer track from CP to VIA/CN in Windsor involved too, through yards and sidings? I had once done a somewhat detailed analysis to see if it was at all possible to get a train from Detroit to Windsor VIA station. While doable, it is tedious. It is slightly less tedious to merely get it to the VIA/CN trackage, because that does not involve a backup move., but still it is close to somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of slow moves through Windsor.

Last edited:
Back