Stephen Gardner new Amtrak president

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't there also a rather slow transfer track from CP to VIA/CN in Windsor involved too, through yards and sidings? I had once done a somewhat detailed analysis to see if it was at all possible to get a train from Detroit to Windsor VIA station. While doable, it is tedious. It is slightly less tedious to merely get it to the VIOA/CN trackage, because that does not involve a backup move., but still it is close to somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of slow moves through Windsor.
The single track that goes past the Windsor station is the furthest (4th IIRC) from the building itself and used to serve a distillery at one time. It now dead-ends not far past the station at a street and the rest are overgrown. I'm not sure whether they restored the wye for locomotives near the station either. Without backtracking too far it should be possible to reach the CP tracks through the Ford plant yard, but that is before (east of) the Windsor station. I'd be fascinated to see some of your analysis in a sidebar sometime. I know a few people who have studied Windsor rail over the years. I think the consensus to-date is that the station (and passenger rail access to the city) both need to move to a more practical location - likely on the CP tracks. The attached Google Earth shot shows the end of the track just west of the station and where it previously continued parallel to Riverside Dr.
End of the line Windsor.jpg

Last edited:
I need to find my notes from back then. I have been stating my position on the overall impracticality at present to compete favorably on time in running a Detroit to Buffalo service via Canada vs. via Toledo based on what I remember from then. Even if you allocate zero time for C&I the current track layout is not conducive to beating the time via Toledo, even given the somewhat slow jog from Detroit to Toledo.

Things can be fixed up so that it becomes competitive, but the entire funding for that needs to come from Canadian sources, which really gains Canada not much (except perhaps a better Windsor Station on the CP side, with an imp\roved higher speed crossover that is not a factory siding, from the CP to the CN side in Windsor), since it would be NFL focused and not the Ontario Corridor focused investment. That is why I am dubious about the whole thing. But each time I mention it based on detailed look at it at one time, someone chooses to take two cursory glances at some map and proceed to beat me up. So I have stopped caring about it any more.

Amtrak's money would be better spent improving the Water Level Route, fixing up one of the several possible Detroit - Toledo routes to at least 79mph, and bringing the ex-PRR route upto 100mph capability, than chasing after complex political minefield that is through Canada service. That is my considered opinion and it has not changed, since no one has really produced a good argument against that position based on current realities.

Last edited:
For me personally, I’m just dismayed at the fact there aren’t more trains crossing the US - Canada border.

In my opinion, we’ve let the terrorists win by restricting convenient travel options between our countries.

We need to take precautions, but limiting the travel options for legitimate travelers is unacceptable.

And the border silliness in general hurts the economies of both countries

In my opinion Canada is way harder on cross border traffic than we are. As an airline pilot, I’m always hearing about crew members refused entry to Canada for overnight layovers due to a DUI from YEARS ago or something even more minor that we here in the US would shake our heads over (and I realize a DUI isn’t a minor issue but if someones completed a program and moved on from it I consider it a moot issue).

In my opinion Canada is way harder on cross border traffic than we are. As an airline pilot, I’m always hearing about crew members refused entry to Canada for overnight layovers due to a DUI from YEARS ago or something even more minor that we here in the US would shake our heads over (and I realize a DUI isn’t a minor issue but if someones completed a program and moved on from it I consider it a moot issue).
I believe a DUI conviction would also prevent Canadian citizens from entering the U.S.

In my opinion Canada is way harder on cross border traffic than we are.
Canada is definitely more strict in regard to allowing someone in with a DUI conviction. Canada will deny entry to a person who has a DUI conviction even if it is from many years ago. The United States does not deny entry to persons with a single DUI conviction.

On the other hand, the United States is fearful that terrorists can enter Canada more easily and use Canada as springboard into the United States. Canada is less concerned about terrorists coming from the other direction.

Last edited:
You wouldn't know it with the recent animosity between our respective governments, but in 2011 the US and Canada were working on a "perimeter border" for the two countries with a Schengen-style agreement to allow the flow of citizens and goods with fewer formalities. This likely received little attention in the US, but was a hot-button topic for the federal government here at the time. People on both the left and right of center had issues with the proposal, with the many decrying the further "Americanizaton" of Canada and the adoption of "racist" immigration policies. In spite of this, on February 4, 2011, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and President Barack Obama met in Washington, D.C., to announce "Beyond the Border: A Shared Vision for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness." It was for the most a good idea, but the media could not let go of the vocal objections and the whole thing seemed to die quietly. Both countries have had a couple of elections since then and here we are. The idea will certainly not be revisited by the current Canadian government.

At least we did get the remote pre-check facility part of the treaty nailed down with Canada. The rest of the good ideas I agree, are possibly dead for at least a decade as people try to restart trusting the US, and things do not slide backwards in the US again. Aligning immigration policies between the US and Canada will still remain a thorny issue though.

You wouldn't know it with the recent animosity between our respective governments, but in 2011 the US and Canada were working on a "perimeter border" for the two countries with a Schengen-style agreement to allow the flow of citizens and goods with fewer formalities. This likely received little attention in the US, but was a hot-button topic for the federal government here at the time. People on both the left and right of center had issues with the proposal, with the many decrying the further "Americanizaton" of Canada and the adoption of "racist" immigration policies. In spite of this, on February 4, 2011, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and President Barack Obama met in Washington, D.C., to announce "Beyond the Border: A Shared Vision for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness." It was for the most a good idea, but the media could not let go of the vocal objections and the whole thing seemed to die quietly. Both countries have had a couple of elections since then and here we are. The idea will certainly not be revisited by the current Canadian government.
Cant say I blame Canada considering what's happened over the past 4 years, and is happening now in the US.

Cant say I blame Canada considering what's happened over the past 4 years, and is happening now in the US.
Trying to avoid politics directly... Whether or not you agree with the policies over the past four years, I don't see how those policies have made the Canadian border less secure. Perhaps I am missing something.

Trying to avoid politics directly... Whether or not you agree with the policies over the past four years, I don't see how those policies have made the Canadian border less secure. Perhaps I am missing something.
Just hoping that things will get back to Better Relations with our "Cousins to the North", especially as pertains to Border Crossings in both directions.

Security theater doesnt actually benefit anyone, and US Politicians in both parties signed on to the current System we have after 911, which was almost 20 years ago!

This isnt that hard to fix, as LBJ used to say, ".. Come, let us reason together."..

Last edited:
The travel ban that exists is because of vast difference in the status of the COVID pandemic in the two countries. It is also mutual at present.

But bringing it back to something remotely to do with Amtrak...
Is there any word on when construction will start in Montreal - or are they still arguing about who will pay for it?
I have not heard anything recently. I asked Carl Fowler who keeps track of the developments regarding the Vermonter much more closely than I do. He hasn't heard anything recently either. At present all attention is focused on when the Vermonter will start running again in Vermont. It has been suspended due to COVID.

The Adirondack and Maple Leaf also remain suspended due to COVID related border crossing restrictions.

Bringing this back on-topic, it was interesting to note that Amtrak was a participant in the study, as well as CN and CP, whereas VIA Rail was not.
Making a wild assumption about the topic we are getting back to.... :)

The Adirondack or the extended Vermonter running to Montreal does not involve VIA except for VIA being the contracted handling agent of those train(s) at Montreal Central Station. Things are not at a stage where anything is settled enough to start discussing those issues yet.

It is still not clear whether Amtrak crew can operate the extended Vermonter to Montreal between St. Albans and Montreal or it will have to be a CN crew. The Adirondack of course will continue to be run by Amtrak crew all the way.

At one time there was talk of Amtrak abandoning Montreal Central and moving its operations over to CP and Lucien L'allier, but that has simmered down into non-existence as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Canada is definitely more strict in regard to allowing someone in with a DUI conviction. Canada will deny entry to a person who has a DUI conviction even if it is from many years ago. The United States does not deny entry to persons with a single DUI conviction.

On the other hand, the United States is fearful that terrorists can enter Canada more easily and use Canada as springboard into the United States. Canada is less concerned about terrorists coming from the other direction.
I have heard this about DUIs ever since I've been crossing the Canadian Border on a frequent basis. ( for over 50 years)

However, I've not known anyone that was actually denied entry into the Great White North for DUIs, but Marijuana and Drug Convictions were automatic Stop! Do Not Pass Go! disqualifiers.

I totally understand the US concern about Terrorists entering from Canada since the 911 Boston Hijackers entered the US via Maine.

However, I've not known anyone that was actually denied entry into the Great White North for DUIs

I do. One of my co-workers was denied for a dui when he was trying to enter for work. I’m actually in agreement as I think dui’s should be taken much more seriously in this country but that’s another’s topic for another thread!

My experiences at the border haven’t been pleasant with the Canadian Border Patrol. They seem to immediately suspect your guilty of something and want you to prove your innocence. I don’t think it’s going to get better anytime soon.

However, I've not known anyone that was actually denied entry into the Great White North for DUIs
Trust me, they are very strict about it. Without going into too many details, almost everyone I know who has tried to cross with an old DUI conviction has been denied entry. (And no, I do not have a DUI conviction myself! I cross about 20 times per year - at least pre-Covid.)

My experiences at the border haven’t been pleasant with the Canadian Border Patrol. They seem to immediately suspect your guilty of something and want you to prove your innocence. I don’t think it’s going to get better anytime soon.
That is not different from the US CBP. I agree, that it is not going to change anytime soon.

That is not different from the US CBP. I agree, that it is not going to change anytime soon.
I must be lucky, I've Never had a bad expierience entering Canada in over 50 years of Border Crossings by Plane,Train,Bus,Foot and Automobile, but returning to the US on the Maple Leaf since 911 @ the Niagara Falls stop @ the Amtrak Station, has NOT been a Pleasant expierience.

I must be lucky, I've Never had a bad expierience entering Canada
Same here. It helps that everyone in my family has a NEXUS card, which is the trusted traveler program that the two countries administer. When I fly into Montreal I don't even see a human being at immigration.

When I drive into Canada I have noticed that the Canadian officials tend to take more time with Canadians re-entering Canada. This is because lots of Canadians shop in the United States where many things are cheaper, and Canada wants their cut of tax revenues. For this reason I always try to find the line of cars that has the fewest Canadian plates.

I must be lucky, I've Never had a bad expierience entering Canada in over 50 years of Border Crossings by Plane,Train,Bus,Foot and Automobile, but returning to the US on the Maple Leaf since 911 @ the Niagara Falls stop @ the Amtrak Station, has NOT been a Pleasant expierience.

How is entering Canada for you at Niagara Falls? That’s where I’ve neen questioned the most, but only ridden the train entering Canada there. Maybe that station is extra tense?

Back